W. Somerset Maugham set up a fund in 1947 to enable young writers to enrich their work by gaining experience of foreign countries. The awards are given for a published work of fiction, non-fiction or poetry.
Entry to the 2020 prize is now closed.
The deadline for entries is 30 November 2019 at 5pm (GMT).
Important information on the 2020 prize.
- Applicants must be a British national, or ordinarily resident in the UK
- Applicants must be under the age of 30 on 30 November 2019
- Submissions must have been first published in the UK in 2019
- Submissions may be poetry, fiction, criticism, biography, history, philosophy, belles-lettres or a travel book. Dramatic works are not eligible
- The prize money must be used for foreign travel
Charity number 212402