This annual prize, generously funded by Nicholas Allan, author of The Queen's Knickers, is awarded to an outstanding children's original illustrated book for ages 0-7.
It will recognise books that strike a quirky, new note and grab the attention of a child, whether this be in the form of curiosity, amusement, horror or excitement.
The winner will receive £5,000, as well as a golden Queen's Knickers badge, as depicted in Nicholas Allan's original book.
The runner-up will receive £1,000 and a silvered badge.
2021 Queen's Knickers Award WinnersRashmi Sirdeshpande and Diane Ewen for Never Show a T-Rex a Book (Puffin)
- Runner-up: Alex T. Smith for Mr Penguin and the Catastrophic Cruise
- Joy Cowley and Giselle Clarkson for The Gobbledegook Book (Gecko Press)
- John Condon and Matt Hunt for The Pirates are Coming! (Nosy Crow)
- Katie Daynes and Marie-Eve Tremblay for Lift-the-Flap Questions and Answers About Plastic (Usborne)
Entry to the 2021 Prize is now closed
- Submissions should be a single, illustrated volume, in book form. It can be imaginative or factual e.g. a counting book
- Submissions may be any combination or words and/or pictures, or just pictures (and in any physical format including, pop ups, flap books, and board books)
- Submissions must have been first published in the UK and Republic of Ireland between 1 September 2019 and 31 August 2020
- The prize will be shared between the author or authors and illustrator/illustrators if applicable
- Submissions must be made by the print publisher
For any queries relating to the prize please contact email@example.com