This annual prize, generously funded by Nicholas Allan, author of The Queen's Knickers, is awarded to an outstanding children's original illustrated book for ages 0-7.
It will recognise books that strike a quirky, new note and grab the attention of a child, whether this be in the form of curiosity, amusement, horror or excitement.
The winner will receive £5,000, as well as a golden Queen's Knickers badge, as depicted in Nicholas Allan's original book.
The runner-up will receive £1,000 and a silvered badge.
Entry to the 2019 Queen's Knickers Award is now open.
The prize will be awarded at our Society of Authors' Awards ceremony in summer 2020.
- The prize will close on 15 November 2019 at 5pm (GMT)
- The work may be any combination or words and/or pictures, or just pictures (and in any physical format including, pop ups, flap books, and board books).
- The prize will be shared between the author or authors and illustrator/illustrators if applicable.
- The work must have been first published in the UK and Republic of Ireland between 1 September 2018 and 31 August 2019.
- There is no submission fee.
Full entry criteria will be available at the start of the entry form.