The group was established February 2018 with the intention of representing and supporting Welsh writers - both professionally and by providing networking opportunities. We have begun with a series of events and community socials (Aberystwyth, Cardigan, Flintshire, Monmouth); established The Cwtch, a closed Facebook group for all SoA members resident or interested in Wales; and formed a steering group with authors Paula Brackston (Chair), Helen Docherty, Philip Gross, Alison Layland and Christopher Meredith to advise us going forward.
New members are welcome to join the group with a joining offer WALES1512 whilst we establish - which gives an extra free three months of membership to the yearly membership subscription and full access to SoA services and benefits such as the contracts advisory service and general offers on insurance etc.
Specific Welsh benefits include 20% off a subscription to New Welsh Review as well as accomodation at The Gladstone Library. Log into the SoA membership 'benefits' section to gain the codes.
Please get in touch with Jo if you would like to subscribe to the group (Welsh postal addresses are automatically subscribed, but we appreciate some towns have English postcodes or you may be expatriate), have ideas for an event, want to address an issue, or would like a meeting in your town. We are always looking for hosts who can facilitate arrangements. Forthcoming events include - save the date or rsvp:
18 September, Machynlleth Meet. Join local host Brenda Davies and fellow members at a quarterly social in Cletwr, Tre'r-ddol, Machynlleth SY20 8PN, 2-5.30pm. Writing non-SoA member guests welcome. for the afternoon of Wednesday 18 September 2-5.30pm. Please RSVP directly to Brenda.
19 September, Cardigan Meet, Make it in Wales @Stiwdio3, Cardigan, 3-5pm. These are usually bi-monthly meetings on the last Thursday of the month which are hosted by member Theolyn Cortens to whom you RSVP. Save 28 November into your diary. Non-SoA member guests welcome. Free, but buy your drinks.
4 October, Monmouth Meet - First Friday. White Swan Tea Room, 9 White Swan Court, Monmouth NP25 3NY. Non-SoA member guests welcome. Free, but buy your drinks. Contact Margaret Iggulden to RSVP and for more details. This is a monthly meet so save 8 November and 6 December into your diaries.
12 October, Performance with Cat Weatherill, Gladstone’s Library, Flintshire. Day workshop for £60. Read more and to book.
We are currently still planning the rest of our events schedule, so keep looking!
Past events include:
- Aberystwyth University with Honno, the Welsh Books Council (host: Liz Jones);
- David Thorpe seminar on character, and presentations with Graffeg and Literature Wales at arts venue Cornerstone, Cardiff (host: Katherine Stansfield);
- Amazon Academy event at Celtic Manor Resort;
- Social and Skills Share: Publicity at Swansea's Volcano Theatre (host: Helen Docherty);
- An informal christmas lunch in Abergavenny's The Chapel (hosts: Paula Brackston and Jo McCrum).
- Afternoon tea with poets Jonathan Edwards, Christopher Meredith at the Seren Cornerstones Cardiff Poetry Festival.
- How to Make a Living as a Writer with Paula Brackston and Jo McCrum, Abergavenny Writing Festival.
- Tintern Summer Social
- How to Write Funny with Jan Etherington, Swansea.