Join us for an open meeting between Hachette UK and SoA members published by Hachette discussing all aspects of a typical book cycle with an opportunity to raise all your questions – followed by drinks and networking.
Chaired by the SoA’s Chief Executive Nicola Solomon, the panel will include the following Hachette staff who will be on hand to explain the publishing process and answer questions (but not those specific to an author or title):
- David Shelley – CEO, Hachette
- Ruth Alltimes – MD, Hachette Children’s
- Jamie Hodder-Williams – CEO of Hodder, Headline, Quercus and JMP & Director of Trade Publishing
- Nick Davies – MD of John Murray Press
- Katie Espiner – MD of Orion Publishing Group
- Diane Spivey – Group Contracts Director
This is an exclusive opportunity for SoA members who are or have been published by Hachette to visit Hachette’s UK headquarters and learn more about them and how they stand out from other publishers. We will explore topics around why/how a book is chosen, the editing, cover design and production process, publicity, marketing and sales, book distribution, what happens when a book no longer has a viable life and what should authors look out for in statements etc. We will also hear about Hachette’s innovations and future plans (audio studios, new royalty statements, new imprints etc).
SoA members will be given an opportunity to pose questions directly to Hachette but are encouraged to email questions in advance (to Sophia – email@example.com) by Weds 26 June).
- 4pm: registration/tea and coffee
- 4.30pm: talk
- 5.30pm: questions from SoA members
- 6pm: Drinks and networking on the terrace with Hachette staff
This event is limited to 50 SoA members, including authors, illustrators, translators and narrators who are or have been published by Hachette or who have been offered publishing contract by Hachette or any of its imprints.
Tickets are available to Society of Authors members and are free of charge but you must register via Eventbrite, to confirm your attendance.
For further information, email Sophia Jackson on firstname.lastname@example.org.