The scheme promotes the work of existing reading for pleasure charities to passionate, literate and engaged readers. It encourages them to become Reading Ambassadors, providing them with tips, tools and encouragement to spread the love of reading in their communities. We are encouraging our members to sign up as Reading Ambassadors.
Authors are the fundamental beginning of the reading journey, so we know you understand the importance of reading for pleasure, and the impact it can have on all aspects of a reader’s life - from empathy to mental health, educational attainment to a love of reading. You are probably also aware of much of the great work that local literary charities do to promote reading for pleasure, and the importance of helping them do that.
That’s why we’re joining with the PA to help them spread the word about the scheme and asking you to sign up as Reading Ambassadors.
They will provide you with a downloadable poster for your website, and help you connect with reading for pleasure charities in the communities you want to help. You’ll receive monthly updates in the PA’s Reading Ambassador newsletter on what’s going on to support reading for pleasure in the UK, and a calendar of upcoming events.
The PA will also run an author focus in one of their newsletters, supporting the work of the SoA and its members, with a social media campaign based around how readers can join their favourite authors in becoming a #ReadingAmbassador.
You can find some general Reading Ambassador tips on the PA’s website – anything from giving a book as a gift or setting up a book corner at work, to discussing a book with a friend. We’ve also worked with the PA to come up with actions more relevant to you – ideas that could help raise your author profile in your community, while also promoting the Reading Ambassador scheme:
- Introduce yourself to the reading charities in your community - talk to them about events and initiatives they're running to find out how working together might be mutually beneficial.
- Are there local issues, such as library closures or reading in schools, which both you and the reading charity are already campaigning on? Could you make more of a difference if you worked together?
- Invite local press to write about you, the reading charity, and the benefits of reading for pleasure.
- Mention Reading Ambassadors on school visits or when you give interviews or talks.
- And, of course, sign up as a Reading Ambassador yourself and encourage others in your community to join you.
However you support the scheme, we and the PA would love to see any pictures or hear about your experience. Do get in touch with SoA’s Niall Slater or Seonaid MacLeod at The PA.
Sign up to be a Reading Ambassador today and help others learn to love reading too.